Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mid Program Update

So, I have now been here five months, and it looks like will be staying another five months.

No, its not because I was detained at the airport, married a Ugandan woman, or "thrown back in jail again." Actually, MAPLE, the organization I have been working for since September of last year, decided that my boyish good looks and suave demeanor must continue to represent its Uganda field operations.

My modeling studio will be the village, and my duds, once the rainy season begins, will be a $50 suit with the pant legs tucked into some big rubber rainboots. I will also get the chance to get out of Uganda. In April I am going to attend the Middle East/African MicroCredit Summit in Nairobi where people from all over the world will get the opportunity to rub elbows with yours truly. This brings to mind a conversation I had just this morning with my housemate and colleague Eddie.

Scene: Eddie hanging his clothes up out to dry on the line. I,
standing in the doorway chatting with Eddie. Rachel, sitting on the couch
eating her oatmeal listening.

Joel: Eddie, do you know where I could get some good dress shirts for
the MicroCredit Summit?
Eddie: Yes.
(Joel waiting for an answer that is helpful…..)
(Joel still waiting…)
Joel: Uh, where?
Eddie: Shops.
(Joel laughing)
Joel: Well Geez, thanks Eddie, what a helpful answer! And where are
these shops?
(In an air of “isn’t it obvious”? Eddie responds…)
Eddie: Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment